How Will I Walk Tomorrow When I Can't Even Stand Today?

It's Friday the 13th today. Insert the obligatory reference to how spooky today is. Thanks.

Last night was my first class at the Minnesota Kali Group. It was a lots of fun and I got to work out a bit of my pent up aggression by punching a coworker (who was wearing padded gloves of course). This morning I woke up slightly stiff, but not nearly as bad as I would have expected.

The sun was also shining and it was about 51 degrees out so I decided that a day this beautiful (if you think 51 degrees and sunny doesn't sound beautiful then you aren't from the upper midwest) was not one in which anybody (least of all me) should be expected to work. Instead I decided to go for a nice, long bike ride.

Unfortunately I didn't notice that the wind was at my back on the way out and I found a new bike path. Whenever I find a new path I develop an intense desire to go explore it. The combination of these things is a very dangerous one for me. Before I knew it I was about 10 miles from home and I decided to turn around before I got too far. As I turned around the wind suddenly hit me. I knew it was going to be a long and arduous ride home. As I'd biked out there had been 4 fairly steep hills that I already dreaded for my return trip and the wind wasn't going to make things any easier. The way home wasn't entirely without its positive aspects, though. The slower travel gave me more time to contemplate my surroundings, some of which were quite pretty and some of which were neat without being pretty. Somewhere along the way I passed one of the city of Minneapolis's water stations which had in its yard a whole bunch of fire hydrants that hadn't yet been planted and other various cool bits of industrial plumbing. At another part, an underpass of some train tracks, I stopped briefly and let a portion of the train pass directly over my head. I've always enjoyed that. I'm glad I found a place to do it here since it was one portion of my rides in St. Paul that I knew I'd miss. It's kind of a rush to sit under what are probably hundreds of tons of stuff in over a hundred train cars passing right over one's head with almost nothing but a few feet of steel-reinforced concrete (or whatever they use to reinforce it) preventing the whole thing from collapsing. I also did better than I thought I would on the big hills. I only had to get off and walk my bike once that I can remember (though near the tops of a few of the hills I'm sure my biking speed was slower than my walking speed would have been).

I made it home without incident, however, and now I sit in a heap on my floor, feeling a bit like jelly (though I think my consistency is a bit more like cookie dough - overall soft, but quite lumpy in parts). The song "Tour de France" by Kraftwerk just came on my mp3 player, as if it is mocking me. Of all the nerve.

I think that's all I have for you today, kids. I promise another entry soon with more of what I've been doing lately.